Haiti - FLASH : American citizens urged to leave Haiti immediately - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7
 Download the revised decree and electoral calendar, published in the official journal





A delegation from Swiss Cooperation in South, Haiti

Registrations open : Launch of 3 national competitions

Quito 2026 - Haitian roller skater Gesny Pierre-Louis, champion in the Free Jump Senior category (video)

Cap-Haitien : Launch of the RN3 Rehabilitation Project

Reopening of the Cap-Haitien post office


more news


223rd Anniversary of the Haitian Flag and University Day

Zapping Haiti of May 18, 2026

Official launch in Haiti of the rehabilitation works on the RD205

The Silent Metamorphosis of Haiti (report)

Haiti - Launch of a national training program to strengthen electoral security…


more news


Haiti - FLASH : American citizens urged to leave Haiti immediately
31/08/2023 05:16:01

Haiti - FLASH : American citizens urged to leave Haiti immediately

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023, the Department of State urged all U.S. citizens to leave Haiti as soon as possible, reinforcing previous warnings about security issues in Haiti...

"Given the current security situation and infrastructure challenges, U.S. citizens in Haiti should depart Haiti as soon as possible via commercial or private transport.

Please contact ACSPAP@state.gov if you are having challenges in departing Haiti or if you need to apply or request the return of a U.S. passport (or other travel document) to travel to the United States," the Department said.

"Multiple airlines and charter companies currently offer flights from Haiti’s international airports (Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitien). Flights fill up quickly and seats may only be available several days or even weeks in advance of departure. Given that there may be a limited number of seats, U.S. citizens should consider booking flights in advance. The following is a non-exhaustive list of commercial airlines servicing Haiti :

American Airlines

JetBlue

Spirit

Air Caraibe

Sunrise Airways

U.S. citizens wishing to depart Port-au-Prince should monitor local news and only do so when considered safe."

The situation in Haiti and in particular in its capital Port-au-Prince, has deteriorated considerably in recent months. The US embassy was briefly closed earlier this month due to widespread gang violence and gunfire on city streets.

The State Department first issued a "do not travel" advisory for Haiti in late July, highlighting the risk of kidnappings. Non-emergency embassy staff have also been asked to leave the country.

Gang violence in Haiti increased by 28% in the first quarter of 2023, and the top UN representative in Port-au-Prince told the UN Security Council earlier this year than in 2022, "gang violence globally has reached levels not seen in decades."

The surge in gang activity began after the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse in 2021, and it has continued to expand since then.

The violence has driven at least 165,000 Haitians to flee their homes, mostly to temporary shelters.

HL/ HaitiLibre



Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2026
Haitilibre.com